Anyone may be able to create a simple online course, however increasing the effectiveness of online learning is altogether different. An effective e-learning course takes a good deal of time, hard work, and a commitment to a high-quality content. When students find your courses ineffective, they lose interest and your objective as a tutor will be defeated.
As technology is changing very fast and each day new creative elements are being incorporated to make learning more engaging, effective and entertaining, instructors likewise need to up their game to make their online courses interesting and effective to their learners.
How to Increase the Effectiveness of Your Online Courses
- Prepare and Research well: As a tutor, one thing is certain for an ideal content, you need to take your time to research material before making it available to your learners. This is because learners are quite inquisitive and you will want to back up your claim with examples and more explanations for them to better understand what you are talking about. Remember not all learners digest information the same way.
- Present Syllabus at The Beginning of the Course: Course documents like the syllabus must be available for students to view, particularly at the beginning of the course. This will ensure that the student knows which lessons will be covered throughout the course and can use the syllabus as a guide throughout the entire course. It provides teachers with an effective roadmap as well and helps in structuring their lesson plans.
- Break your content into bits.People often make the mistake of making all their content and dishing it out at once. If there is a need to present a whole lot of content, it is always recommended to divide the content into bits. This helps to ensure proper understanding and better readability and gives the course a better look to a reasonable extent.
- Use Puzzles, Games and Quizzes: Classroom sessions are lively with the use of riddles or puzzles. Similarly, these activities can be used in eLearning to make courses interesting and fun-filled. These activities can also be used to assess the learner’s comprehension of the subject matter.
- Videos/Animation: Videos complement the learning that takes place in an online course and helps learners assimilating large content better.
- Audio: Audio should be an integral part of the e-learning course. It helps learners stay focused during the course. Detailed explanations are best given orally with key concepts mentioned in the visuals. Add music wherever possible enriches the course content and helps learners to use both their right and left brain.
- Interactivities and Games: Interactivities are used in the course to invoke the interest of learners and to get them involved in the course content. Adults love games as much as kids do. Incorporating them into the eLearning courseware helps make the course effective, especially when you need to test the understanding of learners. Course documents should be available to every student who enrolled.
- Share Stories and Use Real Life Situations Where Necessary; in classroom learning, teachers keep students engaged by telling a story or using a problem or real-life situation to explain a particular subject matter. This is very useful because it helps to motivate the learners and make them curious to find out more about the subject. Present scenarios, using simple images, animations or videos, it will help simplify the complex concept and make the course interesting and learner-centered.
Article by: Busayo Tomoh